US Military Gamers - Powered by vBulletin

USMG [Retired Staff] Member
    First Name
    John
    Branch
    Civilian
    Blog Entries

Smoke's secret is out....

Have you ever wondered what Smoke's server room looks like.....

Just kidding...this is a very interesting "green" supercomputer though.

This is the Grape-DR, a supercomputer housed in the Department of Information Science at the University of Tokyo. It has 64 Intel Core i7-920 processors and an accelerator chip that can achieve 200 gigaflops with a lightbulb's worth of power.

The Grape-DR topped the Little Green500 List of energy-efficient supercomputers, achieving 815.43 MFLOPS per Watt compared to IBM's second place machine, located in Germany, capable of 773.38 MFLOPS per Watt. Only 775 megaflops per Watt? How embarrassing.

The Grape-DR supercomputer, which in addition to be the greenest is apparently also the messiest, pairs its 64 Core i7 processors with four Grape-DR accelerator chips, each of which consumes only 50 Watts of power. All together the chips improve the efficiency of the supercomputer five fold.

But being the greenest does not mean fastest—the Grape-DR's peak performance is 23.4 TFLOPS, putting it just shy of 500th place on the Top500 list of the world's fastest supercomputers. That's OK, Grape-DR, you're number 1 in Mother Nature's heart. [TechOn via Technabob]

I run this website..

First Name
    Chris
    Branch
    Navy
    Blog Entries

Re: Smoke's secret is out....

server room, thats what my bedroom looks like, heres a picture of my datacenter.
    :o

Please do not contact me for recruiting issues or to add or create you a signature. I will ignore you.

King of the Road
    First Name
    Ray
    Branch
    Marines
    Blog Entries

at one of my old jobs we used to install server racks and punch down jacks and such. You know how much of a bitch it is to make those little labels and wrap them around every single individual cable? my p-touch labeler saw a lot of use, i'd be going through batteries once a week almost. The plus side was while all the other guys were sweating installing ceiling tiles, laying cement, painting walls, and all that fun stuff, i was in a nice air conditioned server room :mrgreen:

Gaming is staying up 'til 3am to earn a trophy that isn't real.......BUT IS

Venus of course. All women are from Venus!
    First Name
    Lady
    Branch
    Civilian

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhide400

Now that room could use some trunking

First Name
    John
    Branch
    Civilian
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusR3
    at one of my old jobs we used to install server racks and punch down jacks and such. You know how much of a bitch it is to make those little labels and wrap them around every single individual cable? my p-touch labeler saw a lot of use, i'd be going through batteries once a week almost. The plus side was while all the other guys were sweating installing ceiling tiles, laying cement, painting walls, and all that fun stuff, i was in a nice air conditioned server room :mrgreen:
    I agree, but DAMN your fingers get sore after about 200 cables...

I run this website..

First Name
    Chris
    Branch
    Navy
    Blog Entries

I have a panduit cable label maker.. what a life saver..
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusR3

Please do not contact me for recruiting issues or to add or create you a signature. I will ignore you.

Tim's Bromance Partner
    First Name
    Ben
    Branch
    Army

Just kidding...this is a very interesting "green" supercomputer though.

This is the Grape-DR, a supercomputer housed in the Department of Information Science at the University of Tokyo. It has 64 Intel Core i7-920 processors and an accelerator chip that can achieve 200 gigaflops with a lightbulb's worth of power.

The Grape-DR topped the Little Green500 List of energy-efficient supercomputers, achieving 815.43 MFLOPS per Watt compared to IBM's second place machine, located in Germany, capable of 773.38 MFLOPS per Watt. Only 775 megaflops per Watt? How embarrassing.

The Grape-DR supercomputer, which in addition to be the greenest is apparently also the messiest, pairs its 64 Core i7 processors with four Grape-DR accelerator chips, each of which consumes only 50 Watts of power. All together the chips improve the efficiency of the supercomputer five fold.

But being the greenest does not mean fastest—the Grape-DR's peak performance is 23.4 TFLOPS, putting it just shy of 500th place on the Top500 list of the world's fastest supercomputers. That's OK, Grape-DR, you're number 1 in Mother Nature's heart. [TechOn via Technabob]
    I just threwup a little in my mouth when I saw that cable management
    "Necessity is the plea of every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt, 1783

First Name
    John
    Branch
    Civilian
    Blog Entries

I happened to come across this picture of Smoke's living room table.....

I run this website..

First Name
    Chris
    Branch
    Navy
    Blog Entries

That looks absolutely epic!! :shock:

I wonder if it works, and the Cherry trim awesome.

I happened to come across this picture of Smoke's living room table.....