US Military Gamers - Powered by vBulletin

Branch
    Civilian

Looking for a hdtv upgrade

Hello everyone ! Been busy not on the computer much . I am in the process of upgrading my HDTV and was wondering if anyone had any input on HDTV's or if anyone has lately purchased one. So many to pick from. I am not interested in 3D . Would have to change my receiver if I went that route. Thanks ! I should be able to be on a little more often.

USMG [Retired Staff] Member
    First Name
    DAVID
    Branch
    Marines
    I have a couple questions for you first. What are you interested in?

Plasma Vs. LCD Vs. LCD LED??
    720 Vs. 1080??
    60hz vs. 120hz Vs. 240hz??
    Size??
    Price range??
    Do you favor a certain brand over others?? I like Samsung than probably Sony the best.

Oh also there are internet ready TVs now were you could stream netflix without your gaming console.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -General Mattis

First Name
    Martin
    Branch
    Navy
    Samsung and Sony are the brands I have both 1080p 120hz LCD

I run this website..

First Name
    Chris
    Branch
    Navy
    Blog Entries
    I have an LG 47LH90 240hz 47" 1080P LED TV
    http://amzn.com/B0026NSWSQ

It is simply amazing, and cheaper then the Sony's and Samsung's, which IMHO - You're paying a premium for because of the name.

I will say, its not heavy on widgets, nor does it have built in WIFI - So if you need any of that, look elsewhere. But if you want just a high quality HDTV that simply works and has phenomenal picture quality, look no further..

Ohh, in terms of cheaper, it's about $700.00's cheaper..

Please do not contact me for recruiting issues or to add or create you a signature. I will ignore you.

First Name
    Martin
    Branch
    Navy
    Lg is a great brand Actually I got a great deal on my samsung 700 bucks for a 46in

First Name
    DAVID
    Branch
    Marines
    Damn Smoke! That one is $1300.

Or they have this 47" LG, LED LCD that is only $899 dollars and has internet apps capability. It has a refresh rate of 120hz. Link

I have been keeping my eye on this bad boy and one day it will be mine. Link. It is a Samsung 46" 120 Hz 1080p LED for $999. I saw this one at best buy or a model similar and loved it!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -General Mattis

I run this website..

First Name
    Chris
    Branch
    Navy
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, well, when I bought it was cheaper then the Samsung 46" - 240hz. (Which is probably its closest competitor) At the time the Samsung and Sony's were almost $2000.00.

The Samsung's and Sony's are also only side fired LEDs, meaning the LEDs are on the outside of the display, whereas the LG, is a Tile Fired LED solution, which is fed evenly throughout the entire screen; this makes the picture quality much higher, keeps the screen brighter, so it doesn't wash out in bright rooms, and the screen failure rate much lower..

Quote Originally Posted by dbgUSMC View Post
    Damn Smoke! That one is $1300.

Or they have this 47" LG, LED LCD that is only $899 dollars and has internet apps capability. It has a refresh rate of 120hz. Link

I have been keeping my eye on this bad boy and one day it will be mine. Link. It is a Samsung 46" 120 Hz 1080p LED for $999. I saw this one at best buy or a model similar and loved it!

Please do not contact me for recruiting issues or to add or create you a signature. I will ignore you.

First Name
    DAVID
    Branch
    Marines
    Hmm I didn't know that about the LED. Is that on all LG's or just some of the models? I also wonder if 240 hz is that much greater than 120? I would think that there will be a point where the technology get so good the human eye will not even be able to notice the difference. We will just pay for it because they say it's there. lol

I run this website..

First Name
    Chris
    Branch
    Navy
    Blog Entries
    not so much between 60 and 120hz, but its a huge difference going from 120 to 240hz. Especially in large action scenes.

Now - If you watch a lot of slow moving dramas, and love movies, probably won't notice much difference, but if you're a real man.. (ar ar ar - Tim the tool man Tailer), you'll be watching all the action movies you can; (Along with ninja movies and fragging newbs on PS3..)

Quote Originally Posted by dbgUSMC View Post
    Hmm I didn't know that about the LED. Is that on all LG's or just some of the models? I also wonder if 240 hz is that much greater than 120? I would think that there will be a point where the technology get so good the human eye will not even be able to notice the difference. We will just pay for it because they say it's there. lol

Branch
    Civilian
    I was looking at the vizio vxt 55 led lcd with a good amount of apps, netflex, wireless or wired wifi connection. Cnet rated it in there top five of 2010 HDTVs . 1700.00 at walmart But i am still on the fence about the vizio brand . I also saw a presidents day sale on a samsung un55c7000 led/ 3d for 1800.00. But I'm still on the fence on 3D due to the changing of other components of my HT to 3D capable:receiver and HDMI cables and so on. Question for those who have led TV's . Is there adjustments in the menus settings that can be made so that you don't have the "soap opera" effects so noticeable. Anywho thanks for your input !

Silent but Deadly....
    Branch
    Marines
    Blog Entries
    I live by Vizio..I have 2 Vizios currently along withmy big ass 3d tv and love em all..vizio is the way to go!
    http://forums.usmilitarygamers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3616&d=1341691069

Silent But Deadly!

I run this website..

First Name
    Chris
    Branch
    Navy
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure I know what you mean by "soap opera", but yes, you can make adjustments for the color, saturation, brightness, effects, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by InkaB0DpaiN View Post
    I was looking at the vizio vxt 55 led lcd with a good amount of apps, netflex, wireless or wired wifi connection. Cnet rated it in there top five of 2010 HDTVs . 1700.00 at walmart But i am still on the fence about the vizio brand . I also saw a presidents day sale on a samsung un55c7000 led/ 3d for 1800.00. But I'm still on the fence on 3D due to the changing of other components of my HT to 3D capable:receiver and HDMI cables and so on. Question for those who have led TV's . Is there adjustments in the menus settings that can be made so that you don't have the "soap opera" effects so noticeable. Anywho thanks for your input !

King of the Road
    First Name
    Ray
    Branch
    Marines
    Blog Entries
    here's a decent explanation of the soap opera effect:

The visible reduction of film grain and other film-based irregularities that should be present in the picture is often referred to as the Soap Opera Effect (or SOE) because the increase of the frame refresh rate from the 24 Hz to the rate of the display (120 or 240Hz) appears like a videotaped soap opera. While viewers donít see the problem when watching sports or other live or taped broadcasts (which are shot at either a 30 or 60 Hz frame rate), they are rightly troubled when movies look like video, though not everyone is bothered by it.
    I've seen it before on friend's tvs at home but i've never noticed on a tv in a store display, leading me to believe most current tvs have features, if properly adjusted, that will reduce or alomst completely take away the effect

this page actually offers up some solutions to take care of it, the easiest solution being to put the video mode on the preset "game" mode, but it's an interesting read if anyone wants to check it out.

http://hdguru.com/a-solution-to-the-...a-effect/2119/

The page also mentions that new frame rate conversion processers are on the way which should bypass the issue all together so if nothing else, hold out for a while longer until the new hardware drops, or check out a samsung that can utilize their newfirmware update that offers other ways around the SOE

Gaming is staying up 'til 3am to earn a trophy that isn't real.......BUT IS

Global Moderator
    First Name
    Dave
    Branch
    Army
    Blog Entries
    I've been looking at a 47" Vizeo for my next tv upgrade, since I'm rocking a 42" Westinghouse....yes, you've never heard of them

I might have to look into LG now, though.

Branch
    Civilian
    Thank YOU ! for all the input I have received. I decided and purchased a LG pz550 60" plasma / 3D for 1,688.00 . Now I know... but you play video games ! I did lots of research and for watching movies which I do 65% of my viewing time its the way to go. So everything from image burn to life of a plasma I searched and searched . I feel good with all the input I gathered . It has all the goodies from Netcasting to 600hz frame rate oh it is less than an 1" thick.. pretty good for a plasma. I will let you know my review as I use it . Thank You so very much again ! Kilzone anyone !

First Name
    Martin
    Branch
    Navy
    Let us know how the 3d is