US Military Gamers - Powered by vBulletin

Branch
    Navy

Need some advice asap!

Ok here is the deal my beloved Samsung LCD has crapped the proverbial bunk and I need a new one....

Am looking at LED-LCDs and have been getting a lot of positive info about VIZIO and given the price etc it seems like a hell of an option ... I've seen some drawbacks listed (blooming being chief among the complaints) but no one is saying how good it is as a match for a PS3.

Was hope'n that one of you fine folks might have some insight... not to mention gotta get this thing after work so my timeline is short.

This is the one I'm looking at:

47" Vizio VIA XVT Tru-LED LCD 1080p 240Hz SPS HDTV

Model: XVT473SV
    Item #: 537068
    Free shipping to home/business for online orders
    XVT3SV Series TVs Winner of CNET’s Editor’s Choice Award 2010 -- CNET®
    1920 x 1080
    10,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
    Frame Rate: 240Hz sps

Thanks in advance for you help folks

Blog Entries
    I personnaly still like the plasma, they're more energy efficient now and they no longer have burn in issues. Got a 58 inch samsung last year, 600hz 1080p and much less than comparable LCD, better for sports, movies and video games in my opinion. Best buy has a great chart for comparing different types of tv's on their website if you're looking for pros and cons.

Don't be mad. Everything I post is "lol."

Staff[Xbox-Recruiting]
    Oxford, AL(home) and Lake Charles, LA(work)
    First Name
    Craig
    Branch
    Army
    Blog Entries
    i have two vizio's in my house...i love them....cheap price & good quality...was kinda shocked when i got the first one from walmart wasnt expecting it to be as great as it is!! i would recommend!!100%

"Kisses*Hugs*Belly Rubs"

USMG [Retired Staff] Member
    First Name
    John
    Branch
    Civilian
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, I don't know much about the vizio brand, but I have to plug samsung. They have a great product line, and I have a couple of their LCD tvs. Whenever someone comes over, they always ask when I got an LED, but it's not, it's LCD. They are more money though.

Branch
    Navy
    Thanks everyone ...

I have to agree I loved my Samsung ... and would recommend them as a brand to anyone ... just seems like with the VIZIO line you can get a little more bang for your buck.

I will say that I heard a bit on NPR about VIZIO and they seem to have a good template ... not to mention they are an American company, so that is cool.

Crzy I'm glad to hear you are satisfied with yours ... that really helps because you are use'n em for exactly what I will be.

I'll keep you all posted

First Name
    Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by MjolnirActual View Post
    Thanks everyone ...

I have to agree I loved my Samsung ... and would recommend them as a brand to anyone ... just seems like with the VIZIO line you can get a little more bang for your buck.

I will say that I heard a bit on NPR about VIZIO and they seem to have a good template ... not to mention they are an American company, so that is cool.

Crzy I'm glad to hear you are satisfied with yours ... that really helps because you are use'n em for exactly what I will be.

I'll keep you all posted
    I also have several VIZIOs at home and love them. Great tvs.

"I've never had a conversation with a dead guy before. Forgive me if I don't know the rules."

Staff[Xbox-Recruiting]
    Oxford, AL(home) and Lake Charles, LA(work)
    First Name
    Craig
    Branch
    Army
    Blog Entries
    oh and Vizo has a sound bar my wife wanted for our 65 inch down in the den and i was a little leery of getting it..but i got it for her and wow!!! i was impressed!! sounded awesome!!! another great product from Vizo!!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-Soun...210WS/10910025

"Kisses*Hugs*Belly Rubs"

Global Moderator
    First Name
    Dave
    Branch
    Army
    Blog Entries
    +1 for Vizio. Best friend has one, and it's pretty awesome. Is definitely on the list for when my TV craps out.

First Name
    DAVID
    Branch
    Marines
    I still think I like samsung the best of all. But, Vizio is an amazing brand and seem to have a great TV! I wouldn't hesitate at all if the price was right to get one. I think the specs sound great for the TV you are looking at now. Let us know what you decide to do.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -General Mattis

First Name
    Martin
    Branch
    Navy
    Sony and samsung are the ones I have, my samsung is still going strong I've had it since 06

Venus of course. All women are from Venus!
    First Name
    Lady
    Branch
    Civilian
    Yes like Squid says plasma for stuff that moves ...lol like sport and gaming etc.

Having said that, I have a samsung plasma and lcd and don't notice any difference for gaming really.

I have a sony bravia lcd and the sound aint too good

Branch
    Navy

Here is what I got

First of all a HUGE THANKS to everyone for help'n ... so many options to choose from and everyone says that their product is the best ... it's for friends that give you the best advice.

Well I did get a VIZIO but I didn't get the one I set out to I ended getting the one listed below... honestly the big kicker was that it was not really that much more, and it has a lot more capabilities than the first one we looked at.

I did try out the 3D on Killzone 3 (stayed up extra late to wait for the glasses to charge *LOL*) I have to say even with tired eyes that was a cool experience ... even leading to some little bouts of vertigo on some maps because of the depth of field. More on that as I fiddle with it and get more experience.

Overall the set is real nice, stunning picture, great sound, internet connectivity, and a GREAT REMOTE (by the way).

After owning a VIZIO now for about 12hrs or so I can say I'm a huge fan and would very much recomend them ... solid performance and a more realistic price point.

Here are the specs:

47" Vizio LED 3D 1080p 480Hz SPS HDTV

Model: XVT3D474SV
    Item #: 846139
    Free shipping to home/business for online orders.
    Refresh Rate: 480Hz
    Full HD 3D
    Vizio Internet Apps™

Picture/Display:
    Class: 47"
    Viewable: 46.96"
    Backlight Type: Full Array LED
    Resolution: 1080p
    Signal Compatibility: 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i
    Colors: 1.06 Billion
    Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 10,000,000:1
    Refresh Rate: 480Hz
    Brightness: 500 nits
    Response Time: 4 ms
    Viewable: 178°/178°
    TRULED™ Superior LCD HDTV Performance
    Switch to 3D or 2D with the simple press of a button.
    Utilizes Active 3D technology; use Vizio VSG102 glasses to enjoy 3D content, item# 891133

Audio:
    SRS TruSurround HD™: Yes
    SRS TruVolume™: Yes
    Channels/Speaker Output: 2 x 15W

Inputs (Rear):
    HDMI with HDCP: 4
    Component: 1
    Composite: 1
    VGA: 1
    S-Video: 1
    RF Connector for Internal Tuner: 1
    Ethernet: 1 - 10/100 Mb/s

Inputs (Side):
    HDMI with HDCP: 1
    USB 2.0: 3 - service only
    HD Gameport: 1

Outputs:
    Optical Digital Out (SPDIF): 1
    Analog Audio Out: 1

Power:
    Power Consumption: 135W avg.
    Stand-by Power: <1W

Additional Features:
    Smooth Motion: Yes
    Picture-in-Picture (PIP): Yes
    HDMI CEC: Yes
    HDMI ARC: Yes (HDMI - 1 only)
    Ambient Light Sensor: Yes
    Bluetooth: Yes
    Wireless (WiFi): 802.11n Dual Band, 2.4GHz and 5GHz
    Vizio Internet Apps™
    Full HD 3D: Yes
    Mercury Free: Yes
    Remote Control: VUR10 3D

First Name
    Lady
    Branch
    Civilian
    Yeah keep me posted, I've been waiting for someone to go 3d for gaming so they can tell me all about it!

How bad was the vertigo? I hate that. Did you feel sick? You'll have to let us know how it goes for lengthy gaming sessions. Headache? I just don't wanna spend all that money then find that it makes me feel like shit ya know.

The picture has more depth right, like one of those magic eye pics...rather than things popping out at you?

Wish I lived nearer so i could pop round for a demo lol!

Branch
    Navy
    Quote Originally Posted by ladym123 View Post
    Yeah keep me posted, I've been waiting for someone to go 3d for gaming so they can tell me all about it!

How bad was the vertigo? I hate that. Did you feel sick? You'll have to let us know how it goes for lengthy gaming sessions. Headache? I just don't wanna spend all that money then find that it makes me feel like shit ya know.

The picture has more depth right, like one of those magic eye pics...rather than things popping out at you?

Wish I lived nearer so i could pop round for a demo lol!
    Ok when I say vertigo I don't mean in a bad way ... like that first little thrill of it you get just as the roller coaster crests the big hill... honestly it make you want to scream "WEEEEEE" *lol* It was more breathtaking and cool ... not sickening at all.

I am very interested in what a longer game session will be like ... should know more on that this weekend.

The picture has more depth for sure AND you get stuff coming at you ... in KZ3 (I did a quick run through the first mission) the snow in the air kinda falls at all level giving you that feeling... but for the most part it's the tracers from the weps that really have that "coming right for you" feeling. Quiet convincing to be honest.

Hey if you end up in the states and are near Pittsburgh PA you got a demo for sure

First Name
    Lady
    Branch
    Civilian
    Ok when I say vertigo I don't mean in a bad way ... like that first little thrill of it you get just as the roller coaster crests the big hill... honestly it make you want to scream "WEEEEEE" *lol* It was more breathtaking and cool ... not sickening at all.

I am very interested in what a longer game session will be like ... should know more on that this weekend.

The picture has more depth for sure AND you get stuff coming at you ... in KZ3 (I did a quick run through the first mission) the snow in the air kinda falls at all level giving you that feeling... but for the most part it's the tracers from the weps that really have that "coming right for you" feeling. Quiet convincing to be honest.

Hey if you end up in the states and are near Pittsburgh PA you got a demo for sure

Aw sounds coooooooool!

How is it at spotting the enemy? Better view etc?

I'm so envious!

Best starting saving I think

Branch
    Navy
    Aw sounds coooooooool!

How is it at spotting the enemy? Better view etc?

I'm so envious!

Best starting saving I think
    Spotting the enemy seems to be about the same ... the resolution was always there but I'll have to pay a little more attention to see if they are more apparent. I'll let you know

First Name
    John
    Branch
    Civilian
    Blog Entries
    Nice, Congrats on the purchase! I was wondering how the 3D gaming experience would be too.

First Name
    Martin
    Branch
    Navy
    Yup as soon as the glasses get a little cheaper I will purchase one

First Name
    DAVID
    Branch
    Marines
    Congrats on the TV man. I would love to try out a 3d TV sometime.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -General Mattis

Branch
    Navy
    Ok ... now that I have logged some hours as a 3D gamer I wanted to give a report...

First off as far as eyestrain and headaches ... I'm happy to report 0 (zero) issues on that front.

My only issue is my own glasses ... they have to be CLEAN CLEAN or it kinda gets annoying.

Another thing I learned this weekend was that the darker the room the better. After dark with the drapes pulled and all the lights out really made the 3D image sing.

I ended up playing SOCOM 4 in 3D over the weekend and it is just breathtaking. Not overt and in your face like you might think ... just more "real" (not sure I like that word exactly) you are able to really judge distances and frankly one place I did see real benefit was I didn't get stuck on as much stuff because you have a better idea of when to sidestep something to get out of the way.

Targeting still feels about the same ... I don't think I'm picking up tangos better or sooner ... on the contrary hiding in brush and behind things might actually be a bit more effective in the 3D environment.

Above all else though the environment is just more grand, it is easier to suspend your disbelief and really get immersed in the game. Very easy to loose yourself in the world the game creates.

Even though SOCOM is killer in 3D, I'm thinking the technology is really going to shine in the upcoming Batman sequel, and games like Resident Evil and Dead Space... where atmosphere is EVERYTHING.

Folks IMHO, I have to say I am so glad I talked the wife into "letting" me get this set over the other I was looking at. 3D seems to be an epic step forward in gaming and I highly recommend it.

First Name
    Lady
    Branch
    Civilian
    Thank for the update MJ ...damn! it sounds awesome! I really want one now lol!

All round to yours this weekend then?

Ok ... now that I have logged some hours as a 3D gamer I wanted to give a report...

First off as far as eyestrain and headaches ... I'm happy to report 0 (zero) issues on that front.

My only issue is my own glasses ... they have to be CLEAN CLEAN or it kinda gets annoying.

Another thing I learned this weekend was that the darker the room the better. After dark with the drapes pulled and all the lights out really made the 3D image sing.

I ended up playing SOCOM 4 in 3D over the weekend and it is just breathtaking. Not overt and in your face like you might think ... just more "real" (not sure I like that word exactly) you are able to really judge distances and frankly one place I did see real benefit was I didn't get stuck on as much stuff because you have a better idea of when to sidestep something to get out of the way.

Targeting still feels about the same ... I don't think I'm picking up tangos better or sooner ... on the contrary hiding in brush and behind things might actually be a bit more effective in the 3D environment.

Above all else though the environment is just more grand, it is easier to suspend your disbelief and really get immersed in the game. Very easy to loose yourself in the world the game creates.

Even though SOCOM is killer in 3D, I'm thinking the technology is really going to shine in the upcoming Batman sequel, and games like Resident Evil and Dead Space... where atmosphere is EVERYTHING.

Folks IMHO, I have to say I am so glad I talked the wife into "letting" me get this set over the other I was looking at. 3D seems to be an epic step forward in gaming and I highly recommend it.

Branch
    Navy
    All round to yours this weekend then?
    I'll get the beer on ice

First Name
    Lady
    Branch
    Civilian
    I'll get the beer on ice
    haha you wanna be careful MJ...Max likes to visit people

Global Moderator
    First Name
    Dave
    Branch
    Army
    Blog Entries
    Nice review Mj. Might have to change my next tv purchase a bit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk