US Military Gamers - Powered by vBulletin

USMG Beer & Boob Judge
    First Name
    Corey
    Branch
    Army
    Blog Entries

Dodge Ram transmission issues?

I'm considering buying a used 2001 Dodge Ram SLT 4X4 (w/ 5.9 L engine, 101,000 miles). Someone mentioned to me that there were cases where some Dodge trucks were having issues with the transmissions slipping or in some cases totally failing.

I did a search, and there are some cases of those that appear online, but no indication of how widespread it is. I would like to know if anyone has had an issue like this or knows someone who did.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

USMG [Retired Staff] Member
    First Name
    John
    Branch
    Civilian
    Blog Entries
    With dodge, it is a crap shoot with transmissions. I know an number of people who have had transmission issues from the late 90 to early 00 years. BUT, it seems like when you do get a good transmission, they last a very long time. My buddy had his transmission go out in his 02 ram at 40K, put a new one in, and sold the truck with 200K+ and it was still going strong. My neighbor dumped his transmission in his 99 ram at 70K, then got rid of it.

I am no dodge fan, so I honestly don't have any good hard data for you, only hearsay.

USMG Beer & Boob Judge
    First Name
    Corey
    Branch
    Army
    Blog Entries
    I'm not a big Chrysler fan either, but of their products their trucks are usually okay. The price is great, but obviously I need to look it over with a fine-tooth comb first.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhide400 View Post

I am no dodge fan, so I honestly don't have any good hard data for you, only hearsay.
    Me either!!! Kim's cousin just go a Dodge truck for $800. The truck is in great shape and WELL worth $800 but, he can't get it inspected cause the Check Engine light is on. He took and had it hooked up and the code comes back saying the Torque Converter is bad. So, that to me is leading into a Tranny problem. I would like you said look it over real well. I personally would want to test drive it for sure and run it hard.