US Military Gamers - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dead PS3

Dead PS3

I think my ps3 died yesterday. I was trying to watch Dexter on netflix so I put in the disc but the icon never came up so then I put in MAG and that icon never came up either. Anyone else ever had this problem? If I have to get a new ps3 how do I get all of my game data from one to the other? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Re: Dead PS3

Had it happen to me.
    So long as it will still turn on and connect to your newtwork you should be able to copy mostly all of your game data over to the new PS3.

In the 3.2x firmware theres an option to copy your game data to another PS3. I haven't done it, but I have seen the option to do so.

I had considered trying to repair my unit when it died. Here the link to a parts house if you'd like to try making the repairs yourself.

http://www.consoleshop.com/

USMG [Retired Staff] Member
    First Name
    John
    Branch
    Civilian
    Blog Entries

I would guess it sounds like the disc drive is dead. I have heard of this before. From what I have read, it is not that difficult to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by CryptKper
    I had considered trying to repair my unit when it died. Here the link to a parts house if you'd like to try making the repairs yourself.

Is it the drive board? That's only 35 bucks, a lot cheaper than buying a new ps3.

King of the Road
    First Name
    Ray
    Branch
    Marines
    Blog Entries

i had a dead drive at one point too, only thing i could do was download and play demos. Sony ended up fixing it pretty cheap though because it was a special circumstance i guess and it was pretty quick, had it back in a week and has been running strong ever since

Gaming is staying up 'til 3am to earn a trophy that isn't real.......BUT IS

Quote Originally Posted by hot_karl
    Quote Originally Posted by CryptKper

Is it the drive board? That's only 35 bucks, a lot cheaper than buying a new ps3.
    Hard to say from here. But you can try to narrow down the cause.

Can you hear the drive motor spin up when a disc is inserted?
    Will it read a game/Blu-ray disc?
    Will it read a DVD disc?
    Will it read a CD?

If the disc doesn't spin up then its either the drive motor or disc insertion sensor.
    If it will read any of the disc types above, then its probably the drive board, but could also be the optics.

Best bet is to replace the optics first its more likely to go bad before the IC boards.
    Head up though, I didn't see any parts listed for the 80GB models.

It did not read a blu ray game or my netflix disc (not sure what that disc is, probably dvd). I tried to listen for it spinning after inserting it but couldn't hear anything. I have the 80 gb model. I will have to try a cd when I get home tonight.

sounds like a hd replacement is on the horizon. :ugeek:

"It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their own selfish purposes".- Andrew Jackson

First Name
    Andrew
    Branch
    Army
    Blog Entries

didn't hear it spinning = problem. Try to d-l the newest version also. maybe there is a glitch with it, and it's just a simple D-l. if you already have, then your little spinny thing inside is messed up. Easy fix though.

If anyone knows how to fix it or what the part is let me know. I just stopped at Game Stop and they said they would give me $150 for it since it is the backwards compatable 80gb version. A new slim 120gb is $300 but it isn't backwards compatable. It plays the ps1 titles but not ps2 which doesn't make sense to me. I have a ps2 and don't play any of the old games anyway so i guess it don't matter.

First Name
    Kevin

you might want to wait a bit, there is a known issue after 3.21 and reading BD's and games since they took out the other OS with that FWUPG. as for backing up your stuff there is a data backup utility on the ps3 that you can use. Make sure you have a USB device with the PS3/BACKUP folders built on there or when you try to put it back on it won't read your files.

Cool thanks shack, I did the complete format and it still didn't work so I don't think it was the last update. I will check out some forums today and read up on that. I might go get one today after work.

Game Stop doesn't have any ps3's in stock and they don't know when they are comin in so it looks like I won't be joining anyone on Valor for a little while. :cry: :cry:

BANNED
    First Name
    Terrell
    Branch
    Airforce

Give me an email address and I'll get you a way to get a PS3 on the cheap. Just PM me and I'll give you instructions.

USMG Beer & Boob Judge
    First Name
    Corey
    Branch
    Army
    Blog Entries

I just replaced the blu-ray drive in mine not that long ago. It's not that difficult to replace most anything in the PS3, IMO.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.